The application process is a two-step procedure:
mail the listed documents to the EMGS Consortium headquarters in Leipzig.
Erasmus Mundus European Master in Global Studies
Global and European Studies Institute
These are the documents you have to send by mail:
The following information is requested for the online registration: your home address, your date and place of birth, your e-mail address, your preferred mobility track (final decision on the study places is made by the EMGS Consortium), information about your high school and university education
2. A curriculum vitae in English
(you may use the Europass CV, see: as a template).
3. Motivation letter in English
This letter should explain why you are interested in this particular master’s programme (1–2 pages). In case you have a preference for your mobility track, please specify this in the motivation letter and why you would like to study at the respective universities.
4. Proof of nationality (e.g. copy of passport)
5. Proof of residence (only for applicants who wish to apply for the Erasmus Mundus scholarship)
According to the rules set by the European Union, this proof can be either provided in form of a residence certificate issued by the candidate’s municipality OR a certificate from the candidate’s place of work, study, or training issued by the respective institution. The document must have been issued within 12 months before the submission deadline of applying for the scholarship.
6. Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation, if the document is not issued in English or German) of high school diploma or equivalent
7. Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation, if the document is not issued in English or German) of official high school transcripts
8. Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation, if the document is not issued in English or German) of university diplomas
If you graduate after the application deadline, please send us the diploma as soon as you receive it. In this case, admission will be considered based on your university transcripts. Please note that if you are admitted, the copy of your certified bachelor’s degree will be needed by August in order to be able to enrol you.
9. Certified copy or original hard copy (AND certified translation, if the document is not issued in English or German) of official transcripts from your university
10. Certified copy or original hard copy of English test results
Applicants whose native language is not English must provide test scores for one of the following standardized English proficiency tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL international): minimum score of 550 paper-based (or 213 computer-based or 80 internet-based). Please notice that the code number for the EMGS programme is /4688/.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): minimum score of 6.5 (with no section less than 6.5)
- Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grades A, B, C
- Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): Grades A, B
Applicants who have studied for more than one year at or received a degree from a university at which English was the language of instruction are not requested to take one of the previously mentioned proficiency tests. An official certificate from the applicant’s university is required to confirm that English was the language of instruction.
11. Proof for knowledge of another foreign language
(different from your native language and English) at the A2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (to be proven by a high school or university certificate and/or internationally recognized test score certificates or equivalent proof of participation in language courses)
English native speakers need to provide proof of knowledge of a first and a second language other than their mother tongue at the A2 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
12. One original recommendation letter by an academic teacher
This needs to be sent in a separate closed envelope, signed by the person recommending the candidate, and on official letterhead or with the institutional stamp, including the reference’s name and e-mail address.
13. If applicable, proof of extracurricular activities and work experience (e.g. copies of employment certificates)
Do not use plastic/paper files or staples. All applications must be produced in English and printed on PAPER.
As indicated above, some documents must be included as certified copies and certified translations in English (or German) AND in the original language. Documents issued in English or German must be included as certified copies only.
A certification can be made by any authority that has an official seal with a national coat of arms (in Germany, these are town halls, the police, courts, rectories, and notaries) or by the authority who issued the respective document. In the latter case, a stamp of the respective authority would be sufficient.
Electronic pre-applications may be sent to indicate an interest only in those cases where airmail systems are operating under difficult conditions. However, the electronic pre-application does not replace the sending of the paper copies as stated above.
- A scan of the printed online registration form
- A copy of your university degree
- A copy of your university study results (transcript of records)
- All academic records that are not in English must be accompanied by English translations
- A letter of motivation in which you explain why you are interested in this particular master’s programme (1–2 pages)
- A confirmation of your proficiency in English (see above)
- A curriculum vitae in English
Applicants who earned their university degree in China are requested to submit an additional certificate from the Akademische Prüfungsstelle Peking (APS). For further information, visit: http://www.aps.org.cn
Applicants who earned their university degree in Mongolia are requested to submit an additional certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle Ulan-Bator (APS). For further information, visit:
Applicants who earned their university degree in Vietnam are requested to submit an additional certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle Hanoi (APS). For further information, visit: