Depending on the location of your first study place, you will need to apply for a visa for study purposes, which is valid for 90 days, at an Austrian, British, Belgian, Danish, German, or Polish embassies or consulates in your country. For the visa, you will need a passport, an admission letter from your first-year university, and proof that you can fund your period of study. All students that are accepted to the programme will also receive an official letter from the EMGS Consortium. For those that have been awarded the Erasmus Mundus scholarship, confirmation of the scholarship will also be noted in the official letter. This official letter from the EMGS Consortium will help you apply for the visa and informs the respective authority of the two different study places you have been admitted to. Aside from these documents, the embassy may request additional documents. After starting your studies, you will also need to apply for a residence permit. The local coordinator will help you apply for it. The visa for the second-year study place will be applied for in the country in which you spend your first year. In the following, you will find country-specific information on visa issues. If you have any problems  when applying for a visa, please inform the local coordinator of your first year university.


Before you apply, please get in contact with the local coordinator, they will assist you with your visa/residence permit application. Citizens of some countries (e.g. India, Philippines, Kenia, Ethiopia) have to apply for an Austrian Residence Permit in their home countries before they are allowed to enter Austria.


And other preparations:

United Kingdom


Ministry of Foreign Affairs



Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Ministry of Interior

Office for reparations and foreigners>n